8-9-16 when a business is not a business

Over the last six months I have been examined by the IRS. Apparently my train activity business is really not a business in their eyes. The only thing that matters to them is how much revenue you make them, not how much you work, or any other rational measure. At the end of the day, it has soured me about the whole concept. I’m not sure what the final outcome will be, but for sure it will be more hobby and less business.


If you follow my eBay listings, you probably have noticed a lot of parts up for sale. This is the first of many changes to come. There is no sense fixing an endless supply of rolling stock if it does not have some business benefits. Enough of this.

My disposal activities have interrupted my motor and electronic test series. With the plans this year, those will go on hiatus around 10/1 until 2/1 of 17. Not sure how much more will get done before that date. On top of that, some engineering work appears to be in the offing, so that will also mpact things.

Of course, I have added a couple of items to the electronics module list. Here is the reason, I have observed that engines with sound are some of the worst performance units in my system. To the point where I have decided to sell off most of the sound units in my collection. To this end and because of an inferred challenge from some discussions on The MRH site, I have added some additional testing to the series.

1. To identify the impact of the light broad on the engine performance, two engines have been added. The first is a P2K southern E6A. This is a DCC ready engine. The second is a Walthers Proto Milwaukee E7A with DCC & QSI sound. In both of these the stock set up has been tested.

2. Then, the electronic module was disconnected, so the unit runs only on DC with no module between the track and the motor.

3. Both of these incorporate plastic clip connections. These connection for the motor and track leads were soldered and the base test re run.

4. The E6A will the be upgraded to a TCS DCC decoder. This should allow the impact of the decoder on the performance. In this case,ma TCS version.

5. At this point, both the E6A and the E7A will be run on DCC to compare with the DC results. Insight into power loss and apparent low end stability is the objective.

It is not my intention to do a full understanding of decoders. That would be beyond the scope and would require a significant series of tests. However,

The latest thing in sound systems seems to be the Lok sound decoders. So,

6. Both the E6A and the E7A will be tested with the appropriate Lok sound system. Initially in DC

And then,

7. In DCC.

Shop now for Walthers signal tower

Again, the objective is to understand the power and stability impacts of his latest electronics rendering.

At this juncture three of the above tests are completed. The four more await time, and will likely be done on Thursday 8/11. The Lok sound decoder(s) have yet to be ordered. With a little more research, the right combination will be purchased. It looks to be a $90 expense. But remember, it is not a business.

If there are typo’s in this, blame it on my eye doc. I am in the middle of having my cataract surgery activity. For reasons I will not go not here, the time between the two eyes was extended to four weeks. For me that means I can not see well.

I will be posting these and other test results as they become available and nake sense to do so.

A milestone was passed yesterday, 325 unique engines have been tested.

The other interesting result is that the stock P2K motors perform as well or better than the can motors I have examined.

Thanks for looking.

Shop now for Athearn MT-4 Steam tender

Leave a Reply